Tooth Supported Dental Bridges – Restorative Treatment at Oak Korner Dental
A missing tooth can have a significant impact on your quality of life. Tooth loss can lead to pain, infections, difficulty in chewing, and may even increase the risk of losing more teeth. Getting effective restorative treatment to replace a missing tooth or teeth can repair your smile while addressing your aesthetic and functional concerns.
Tooth supported dental bridges are a proven method for replacing missing teeth. Both reliable and durable, this is one of your potential options for treatment with Dr. Erwan Jerger at Oak Korner Dental. Discover all the dental bridge advantages and prepare for your detailed consultation and treatment with Dr. Jerger and his team.
What Are Tooth Supported Dental Bridges?
Tooth supported dental bridges are among the most used dental devices for replacing missing teeth. Healthy natural teeth are used to anchor a prosthetic section that bridges the space between them. Using healthy teeth as anchors ensures a stable foundation for the prosthetic. It’s possible to replace one, two, and sometimes up to three teeth in a row with tooth supported dental bridges.
There are several advantages to this type of system available with your Dr. Jerger, your Oakville Dentist. As we explore these, you’ll get an idea of whether this is the ideal treatment option for your unique needs.
Dental Bridge Advantages
The underlying advantage of this type of restorative treatment is the effective treatment of tooth loss. More specifically, four key areas stand out.
1. Most important of all the dental bridge advantages is the fact that having this treatment can restore the functionality of your smile. You’ll be able to chew, speak, and smile with ease and confidence. This benefits your overall oral health while also restoring your quality of life.
2. The treatment can help to preserve adjacent teeth. Gaps in your smile can lead to tooth movement and eventual tooth loss. One of the primary dental bridge advantages is being able to maintain your smile.
3. Treatment with dental bridges improves the aesthetic of your smile, which can have a significant effect on your confidence and sense of self-esteem.
4. Durability and ease of care are considered some of the most significant dental bridge advantages. You can brush, floss around the bridge unit, and rinse as normal. You won’t need any special care or adjustment outside of your regular checkups with Dr. Jerger, your Oakville dentist.
Dental Bridge Disadvantages
As with many dental treatments, there are some potential dental bridge disadvantages to consider. These can vary and don’t apply to every patient, but they’re still important to keep in mind. Dr. Jerger, your Oakville dentist, will discuss the most significant dental bridge disadvantages that apply in your case.
1. Dental bridges sit above the gums, so they don’t stimulate the jaw. This can lead to some bone resorption below the treatment area, which could potentially lead to a minor change in facial appearance. In most cases, this will be minimal, and the risk of visible changes will depend on your age and overall health.
2. Not every patient is suited to replacing teeth with dental bridges. One of the dental bridge disadvantages is that it’s usually only feasible to replace up to three teeth in a row. If you have lost more teeth, there are other options available with Dr. Jerger, including dentures and dental implants.
3. Replacing teeth with bridges will permanently affect the adjacent teeth. Placing crowns on these teeth could weaken them over time. Complications are minimized when following effective techniques.
Dental bridge disadvantages will be thoroughly covered during your initial consultation and treatment planning. If you have any concerns at all, you can explore alternative treatment options for replacing teeth.
The Dental Bridge Process for Replacing Teeth with Your Oakville Dentist
Everything starts with your free consultation. Dr. Jerger, your Oakville dentist, will examine your teeth and take scans to help plan the procedure.
- The anchoring teeth will be prepared so that crowns can fit flawlessly.
- An impression will be taken so that the custom prosthesis can be made in the dental lab.
- A temporary bridge can be put in place to protect your prepared teeth.
- Once the permanent prosthesis is ready (this can take up to two weeks in most cases), it will be fitted and adjusted before being secured with special dental cement.
Replacing teeth with your Oakville dentist will complete your smile and restore function to your mouth.
Book Your Consultation at Oak Korner Dental
You can book an appointment with Dr. Jerger today . Tooth supported dental bridges are one way to approach replacing teeth and it could be the best option for your needs. Learn more and benefit from the compassionate care and attention to detail of an experienced dentist in Oakville.